Sunday, June 16, 2013

Nursery Rhymes

Our new reading series has plans for Nursery Rhymes the first two weeks of school. I really enjoy beginning the school year with Nursery Rhymes and creating Nursery Rhyme books. However, there has always been a lot of prep for me (craftivities) and I wanted to create something that showcased what the students could do and allow them to practice coloring, cutting, gluing and following directions. After spending several weeks thinking about it, this is what I came up with:
Each rhyme has page to copy. The students will color, cut and paste them on a piece of construction paper. I included different shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle) for variety. The packet with this and 14 other Nursery Rhymes along with 2 weeks of Nursery Rhyme centers can be found here.
I have also finished Journeys Units 1 and 2, they are bundled here and here. I sell the lessons individually, too.
 Throughout my teaching years,  I have discovered that the ability to rhyme (identify words that rhyme and provide rhyming word when a word is given) is a very good predictor of reading success. Early in the school year, I had a kindergarten student that could name all the alphabet letters and letter sounds with fluency. Great, I put him in the advanced reading group! I noticed that he was having a little trouble and when tested he could not "rhyme".  I have seen this same situation with many students. Research indicates that this skill (and other phonemic awareness skills) can be taught. I have wondered over the years if being able to rhyme is a developmental skill, or an auditory skill, or just a skill that develops with many experiences rhyming words.

Sometimes when I test rhyming words, they will shake their heads indicating all the sets of words rhyme, especially the words with the same beginning sound. I often wonder of they really understand what rhyming means or if they are even paying attention to the sounds. I plan to embed this skill more throughout the day, during morning message, read-alouds, and in games during small group lessons, even lining up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...