Sunday, May 12, 2013

Frog Day

Many years ago, when I was in college, my mom taught third grade and she had a Watermelon Day. The students wrote about watermelons, did art projects about them, measured watermelons, and had a watermelon seed spitting contest. I remember the excitement at our house as she prepared for that day.

This school year we had an Apple Day and a Pumpkin Day. On Friday, our Field Day was postponed due to rain and I had to quickly create some lessons for the next day. I decided to do a "theme day" and the students would participate in activities that involve learning about frogs. We read Frog and Toad stories, made frog puppets, and discussed the life cycle of frogs.

In order for it to truly be a theme day I needed a math lesson that included the song "Five Green and Speckled Frogs".  So the students used 5 green linking cubes and pretended the cubes were frogs on a log and removed the cubes from the log as we sang the song, We used one green cube to jump up and down the numberline to solve problems. I needed a math page and could not find one so I made this page before school. The students drew frogs on and off the log, added scenery and then completed the word problem below. Here is the link to the Frog Math page (free).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...