Monday, September 10, 2012

Phonics Word Sorts

Last year, I wanted to make my phonics instruction more rigorous. In the past, I focused most of my instruction on the initial sound of alphabet letters (what is the sound for this letter). I decided I needed to focus not only on the beginning sound, but also the middle (medial) and ending (consonants). Not only did this help my students with phonemic segmentation, but it helped the most with their writing. So I created a packet of headings and word cards for each of the consonants and then a short/long vowel word sort (initial sound only). There are also student response cards that can be used with a clothespin or a math counter. These headings and response cards can also be used for stories-sorting the events that happened in the beginning, middle, and end. Click here if you are interested in this packet.

2 comments:

  1. We're doing something very similar tomorrow. It sure does help with those reading and writing skills.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I was very pleased with the differences I saw with my students last year.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...