Friday, August 10, 2012

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom freebie!

There are so many ways to do this project, but I wanted to share our version. After I read the big book, Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom, the students made their own coconut tree with the letters in their name climbing up or on the tree. If you have a die cutter, we use the circle cutter to make the leaves. We teach the students to cut a circle in half, then make a fringe (snip it) and ruffle it for texture. I taught them to trace the inside of their scissor's handle to draw circles for the coconuts and how to fold the tree trunk fan-style (note to self:remember the tree trunk is black in the story, not brown). I used the dotted foam letters from Wal-Mart because they come in uppercase and lowercase letters. Click here for the FREE sentence frame at the bottom. They write their name and number with a pencil and then trace with a thin marker to make it pop!

4 comments:

  1. OMG I have done something like this every year...but NEVER have I thought to use a circle to cut it in half and make the leaves. I love that - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the cutest creations!! Thanks so much! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this fun activity:)
    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...