Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Write the Room-Literacy Center

 Happy Fourth of July and Welcome new Followers!
My good friend, Tangelia from Buggy about Learning in Kindergarten, came into my classroom and asked me about the picture/word cards that were posted in random areas of my classroom (walls, doors, furniture). I told her the cards were for Write the Room and she said I needed to sell them. So I have remade them, there are 4 packets at $1.50 each through TpT (button on the right).

This makes a great Literacy Center and the students love it. I made/use the cards based on my phonics skill. If we were studying the letter "Bb", I would use all the Bb cards for write the room. I teach 2 letters a week, so I will mix and match my cards to follow the letters I teach. My classroom does not have much space, so hanging lots of posters and charts (other than the charts for our current skills) was not possible. If I wanted my students to "write the room", I needed to provide them with some "print."

All you have to do is print, laminate and cut out the cards. Figure out which ones you want to use and tape them in random areas around the room-walls, doors, furniture. The students get a copy of the Write the Room list and a clipboard. They will walk around the room, find the word cards, and write the word on the list beside the number that it matches (the cards are numbered).

I included 2 recording sheets and two sets of cards, one has the whole word, and one set has the first letter missing for differentiation. Each letter has 8 cards and I used short vowels and ending sound for x. My next packets will be short vowel and long vowel word families and blends.

 Here is what they look like:
 

Here are the different packets:






14 comments:

  1. These look great. My kids love write the room. Last year was the first time I used it. I'll have to add these to my wish list on TPT.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and the weeks I did not make the cards, hey were so disappointed. This was a top priority this summer for me.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, this looks great!! I love Write the Room for center time. :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you-I know your giveaways is doing well because I have a lot of new followers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 4th!!!! I will be teaching kindergarten this fall and you blog is helping me so much. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind. I really do enjoy helping and sharing! I hope your school year is fabulous!

      Delete
  6. These are super cute Jennifer! I'm glad you took my advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They took all day to make, but they are ready for next year!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Your blog has a lot of amazing things, especially for a first year kindergarten teacher! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier this week. I'm sure you already have the Versatile Blogger Award, but I want to nominate you again anyway because you definitely deserve it!

    Katie
    Jungle in Room 207

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you can find things here that will help you. I hope you enjoy your first year-mine was my favorite of all the years I have taught!

      Delete
  8. Glad you stopped by my blog because now I can visit your blog.

    Barb
    Meet me at the zoo…
    kinderzoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah-rah! I was so glad to find your blog!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...