Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Number Lines and Alphabet Strips-Freebie!

Freebie Friday

Hi Friends! I have a little freebie for you! I made a packet of picture strips, number lines and alphabet strips. This is what they look like.
So what can you do with them?
This picture strip can be used to teach them how to "hop" up and down the number line (you say "start at the bee, hop forward/up 4 spaces, what animal did you land on?"). It can also be used for ordinal numbers.
I always put a "-" and "+" on my number lines. When I taught first grade and we gave a standardized test, we really taught the students how to use a number line! Now I just can not break the habit! You can use this for addition and subtraction strategies, or finding a number that you say or show with pictures/dots and asking the students to place a cube on that number.
I used this for Alphabetical Order and now I use it for students to find the letter or the letter for the sound that I say and put a cube on the letter. You can also use it for abc order of letters.

I have these ideas and some additional ones listed in the packet.

I got to work in my classroom today. Look what happened to my Ocean Canopy!
It went from this:
To this:
First I cut the netting shorter, then the ribbons were just too long and I kept getting in them so I looped them, and after I saw Mom's without the netting I decided that I needed to give my canopy a shorter do. It looks better than in this photo, it is over my reading center.
Here's Mom's canopy-she put it over the small group table.



6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the strips!! That will be wonderful for when I'm teaching my kids ABC order. Great idea! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw my old number lines yesterday and knew I needed to remake them. Just thought I would share them, too!

      Delete
  2. Great resource! Will share your idea/blog with my team!
    Chris Kazanjian
    The Kinder"garden" Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be at school tomorrow! Hope to see you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...