Monday, July 2, 2012

Hanging File Teacher Tip

This tip is inspired by Jessica at Under the Alphabet Tree and her Free Writing Portfolio Signs.
I have worked with some very smart teachers and I just happened to pick up this tip as this teacher was filing some student work. For years, I mean years, I used these pesky hanging file folder tabs for my student files and writing portfolios:
This task was one of my least favorite to do every school year. It was too much trouble and expense to buy the replacement tabs every year, so I almost cut my fingers off every year cutting tabs to fit with the paper trimmer (I can not cut straight with scissors) and then putting them in the plastic and figuring out which slot to slip them in was time consuming. NEVER AGAIN!
I do this instead for my writing portfolios and the files I keep on each student. Just use regular file folders and print labels, then slip them inside the hanging files.
The writing portfolios are passed on every year in the same folder, so I just take it out, organize it and the folder is already ready to pass on. I keep my students' files for one year, so at the end of the school year, I gather them all-they are already in a folder, put them in a box and store them.
Super Easy! Thank you Jessica for my writing portfolio sign! I just printed it, glued it to card stock, slipped it into a sheet protector and tied it to my crate!


18 comments:

  1. love, love, love this & I WILL be doing this - too cute & very useful!! :) thanks for sharing!

    ~ Kimberlee ~
    Two Fulbright Hugs
    Teacher TimeSavers

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that someone else thinks this is a great idea! It sure has saved me some time along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable filing system. I just wanted to let you know that am passing on the Versatile Blogger Award to you. Please stop by TIPS to pick it up. Also, I would love to have you link up on my "Blogs of Inspiration" page.
    Happy Teaching,
    Laura
    TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you added ribbon to the crate, it totally matches the baskets that you made. I really love the color combination.
    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am trying to figure all this decorating out!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me:) I'm following you as well!!

    Tammy
    1...2...3...Teach With Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are more than welcome-I am glad that you found me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I'm totally stealing the ribbon idea too! and i love the idea of sticking the file folders inside and reusing them! GREAT IDEA! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-it was your recommendation to post this and I am so glad that you like the idea!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am following your blog now. I love this idea. I use hanging file folders to keep my students' work in that needs to go home. I am so going to put regular file folders in them now.

    Sue

    www.arainbowofteaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful news! I hope that it makes your life easier!

      Delete
  9. I love how you used ribbon to tie the sign to your crate! I've always used zip ties, in fear of a rough-handed child yanking off the yarn. Will be on the lookout for cute fabric ribbon on my next visit to the craft store thanks to you! :)

    your newest follower,

    Antonia

    forkin 4th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I got that idea from a super teacher!

      Delete
  10. I can't find the sign on Jessica's blog. Any ideas on how I can get/find it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't find the sign on Jessica's blog. Any ideas on how I can get/find it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...