Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Common Core-Mathematics Skills Fluency-Big Freebie

"Fluency" and "Automaticity"   Those are two words I hear often concerning reading and mathematics skills. The Common Core standards include the word "fluent" in many Mathematics Standards.  So the goal for our students is to have an automatic recall of alphabet letters, numbers, and quantity of numbers (among other skills). I have made a Mathematics Fluency packet which is designed like the DIBELS Fluency below, but includes Math Skills. The skills covered in this packet include: numerals 1-100, number words (0-20), tally marks (1-10), ten frames (1-20), dice (1-10), 2-D shapes, 3-D shapes, coins and time. You can print these sheets and bind them with a binder comb, or punch holes and use rings. You could also use them as individual sheets either laminated or in sheet protectors. Use them for a quick informal assessment, as a warm-up or review on a document camera during a whole group lesson, or to practice fluency for a small group.
Just click right here to download!
Here are some sample sheets from the packet.

19 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous, but not being a Dibels person, I don't know how to use it - can you give me a quick explanation? Thanks!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! I use these in my small math groups to develop fluency. We read each row chorally together, or I may call on one student to read a certain color row (that is why I color code them). The goal is to read the numbers, tally marks, ten frames, words etc. as fast as possible, without having to stop and think about it- it is automatic. So we just read row after row-could use a timer with the activity to see how fast the students read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say-it is just a good warm up or practice. You could use it informally as an assessment. Hope I explained it well. I wish I could show you!

      Delete
  3. Ah-mazing. Thanks so much for sharing!! Will definitely be using this to gain all that fluency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah-rah, so glad that you like it. It took all day to make. I think my Microsoft Word is an older version-I saw the spinning wheel all day long!

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! You rock!
    ☺ Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I hope it is useful for your and your students!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jennifer! I just awarded you The Versatile Blogger Award. Come & pick it up at my blog!!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog and am your newest follower!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    Come join my linky party and 300 follower giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you found my blog! Welcome!

      Delete
  7. I'm your newest follower. I love this math fluency packet! Thanks for sharing.
    Petersons-Pad

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was visiting your blog earlier. Thanks for visiting and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer,
    Thanks for a wonderful resource! I just downloaded your packet and have added it to my list of things to print and laminate. I am your newest follower and I love what I have read so far!
    Angela Just Love Teaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you found me! I hope you can find something here that you like!

      Delete
  10. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing this, I will definitely use this often!

    Kari :)
    karianne1120@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad that your found something that you can use!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...