Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Alphabet Letter Intervention

Have you ever had a student, or students, that despite getting lots of exposure to the alphabet letters, just can not tell you the names of some (or all) of the alphabet letters? They might be able to tell you the sound for the letter, but they have trouble telling you the letter name. I have had a few students like this and last year after using many strategies, I happened to try one and it worked! I basically knew that the more senses I involved and the more I engaged the students, the chances were better for them to transfer their learning from short-term to long-term memory (we call it "making it stick"). I also know that repetition is important and some students might need exposure to a letter 30 or more times before it "sticks."

So, desperate for something to work, I tried this during small group reading. First of all, I focused on two very different looking letters. Only two for a couple of days. Of course, we worked with all letters all day, but for these students, I had to break it down. The students used the dry erase boards and we wrote the letters as I sang a song (included in the packet). Then they wrote it and erased it 3 times. I gave them a sheet and they colored each letter a certain color as I said over and over "This is the letter a, alligator begins with the sound for a" and other things about the letter (I felt really silly doing this, but they needed to hear it). After they finished, I asked each student individually to tell me the name of each alphabet letter. This activity involved hearing (me over and over-repetition), seeing (the letter sheet and dry erase board) and kinesthetic movements (with the coloring and writing).

If you need another strategy for those students struggling to remember the alphabet letters, please feel free to use this. Click here for the link. 
What kinds of interventions or strategies do you use to help students?


24 comments:

  1. This is a great intervention. Thanks so much for sharing it. I pinned it, too, so lots of people can see it!

    Ѽ Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny! I am not sure others will think it is great, but it might help one student who is struggling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it will get pinned and repinned. I just checked and it was already repinned! It's easy and effective. Thanks,again!

      Ѽ Lori
      Teaching With Love and Laughter
      luvyorkies@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I love it. I use a lot of motions to go with learning the sound but I like your ideas for identifying the letter. I appreciate all the comments you've left me. I'm still working on catching up in blog world. I had it under 500 yesterday but then I was gone all day today.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I have been reading blogs for years with no google account. so no way to post any comments. I am making up for lost time! I love to post comments!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for the freebie! I've pinned it and shared it on facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I bought something for you last night. I have to come to town soon to get a new powercord for my computer, do you think we could meet up so I could give you what I got you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at home. Did one of your girls tell you I called? Do you know when First Aid is opened?

      Delete
    2. Yes, they told me, I have no idea about First Aid-you could call them and see.

      Delete
    3. I don't know the number and the website is shut down so I don't know where to get the number. :(

      Delete
  6. I love this! Thanks so much!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this freebie and for following me. I am now your newest follower. :) I have a song that we sing that uses several senses. Each letter has a poster with a graphic connected to the letter, a hand signal or body movement and you say the letter name and sound of each one. We do them in order for a while and then mix them up. I love using songs to teach.
    Tawnya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! We do the Sing Spell Read Write song every day, these students just could not get it until about February when the majority of my class was reading. It was so frustrating! I am so glad that you found my blog!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing! I always have lots of Firsties who have 0 letter knowledge!

    Several years ago our school was chosen to be part of a grant at the University of North Carolina. I am going to share this summer some of the strategies and lessons we learned...it has been amazing!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hope you do share. Our K's are supposed to test at 52 letters a minute at the end of the year. This is hard for those who do not know the letters well enough to go so fast. I am going to some training in July and will share what I learn too. I remember getting those first graders too-that is one reason first is so hard to teach, there are so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. Can put this to use!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the freebie! I just discovered your blog and am catching up. I think this intervention will be perfect...thanks for sharing!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very welcome! I am so glad that your found me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...